Toxicity of Opossum Urine and How to Clean the Smell
Opossums are somewhat notorious as they have got a bad reputation, however, they are extremely vital to our environment. They are scavengers and help keep the earth clean. They eat carrion (roadkill), invertebrates, (for example, bugs), natural products, and little vertebrates. They also feed on ticks, helping minimize the pervasiveness of Lyme disease.
Opossums are viewed as a nuisance in gardens and close to homes where they feed on berries, grapes, and defecate on gardens and porches. They can pose a serious health risk to cats and fogs and can injure them with their sharp pointed teeth.
How dangerous can opossum urine be?
Opossums are the carriers of leptospirosis, a bacterial disease that begins with influenza-like side effects. Whenever left untreated, leptospirosis will cause kidney damage, meningitis, liver failure and, multiple respiratory issues. The disease is transmitted through the urine and feces. It contaminates different mammals including cats, dogs, and people. To forestall contamination, keep pets immunized against leptospirosis and use a mixture of bleach and water to clean urine and feces. Wear gloves when dealing with an opossum, and when cleaning up urine and feces. Wash hands with cleanser and water a while later.
Along with this, Opossums carry many other diseases, for example, tuberculosis, relapsing fever, tularemia, spotted fever, toxoplasmosis, coccidiosis, trichomoniasis, and Chagas disease. They may also be pervaded with insects, ticks, vermin, and lice. Opossums are hosts for bugs, particularly in urban environments. This insect pervasion on opossums is the main reason of bug-borne typhus, which is continuously expanding.
How to clean odor?
- The best method while evacuating urine smell is to be careful to limit any disturbance of the urine and feces which can discharge spores and bacteria. In case you are going into an enclosed area, for example, an attic, it is ideal to wear a breathing mask and goggles, alongside long-sleeved garments and gloves to avoid any skin contact. Discard the feces in a plastic bag and dispose it of properly afterward.
- If the urine is in the rooftop, a limited space to ventilate the rooftop. If there is a window, open it. If you can remove a few rooftop tiles, do so. Replace them or you can fit them back in after proper cleanup. Maybe if you can, also use a little fan to flow the air.
- If it's possible, since walls are hard to wash, perhaps you could use a pump spray washer on it, clean it with a brush and flush once more. if possible, let air dry and switch fans on there to help dry and then disinfect the whole place. a disinfectant eliminates germs and smells. Or you can make lemon-scented disinfectant yourself and mix it with a touch of dish cleanser and spray it everywhere and simply ventilate the room well,
- For carpeted floors, use white vinegar, Vinegar neutralizes the ammonia smell of urine without blurring carpet filaments, settling on it a good decision for cleaning and ensuring your carpet
- As everything is done and dry, spray a nice disinfectant everywhere throughout the walls and floors.
- And last but not the least, seal all the possible entrypoints properly to keep these uninvited guests from returning.
Free Wildlife Removal Quote
Brands We Use
Mon8:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Tue8:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Wed8:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Thu8:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Fri8:00 A.M. - 7:00 P.M.
Sat9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Sun9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
We strive for complete customer satisfaction, and stand by our work! We guarantee all our exclusion and prevention home repairs against new animal entry into the home or attic. Call us for more details.